Re: Archiving Files with Multiple Volumes

__/ [ Unruh ] on Tuesday 21 March 2006 21:22 \__

> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>>__/ [ Unruh ] on Tuesday 21 March 2006 21:10 \__

>>> man tar
>>> man split
>>> tar -cf - /odd/filesystem|split -b 10m - backup.tar
>>> You will get backup.tar.1 backup.tar.2 ....
>
> Sorry, you would get
> backup.taraa backup.tarab ...
> Instead split -b 10m - backup.tar.
> would give
> backup.tar.aa backup.tar.ab ( up to .zz) If you have even more than 26^2
> you can give the opion
>  split -b 10m -a 4 - backup.tar.
> to do
> backup.tar.aaaa backup.tar.aaab to .zzzz
>
> If you really want numbers, use the -d option to split

Thanks again! It's all 'cooking' at this very moment. It is not very likely
that I will need to reassemble as it is the third among the mirrors, with
the advantage of retaining a /stack/ of backups, which leaves a long trail
to return to (a 300 GB-long trail). I have set this up as an executable
script in my desktop, so it's a one-click job, creating volumes that are 1
gigabyte each. In hindsight, perhaps I could have or should have reformatted
the hard-drive. It seemed risky.

Thankfully,