Re: The Playstation 3 Runs Linux

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Tuesday 21 March 2006 22:00 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Tuesday 21 March 2006 17:10 \__
>>
>>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> I wonder how much it will be, and I also wonder whether it will prove a
>>> suitable platform for 'media centre' work, like a PVR or whatever.  If
>>> it's less expensive and less noisy & power hungry than a standard PC, it
>>> could be very interesting...
>>
>> I think $450 or $550 is a number which I recently came across. Bear in
>> mind, however, that hardware is unlikely to be 'subsidised' by the vendor.
>> The XBox 360 will capitalise on the latency of the PS3, but I suspect the
>> latter will not have overheating problems. Fan burnouts due to excessive
>> use of power (inefficiency, viruses, etc.) is something only one company
>> masters. And that company ain't Sony, I assure you! *smile*
>>

> Hehe - true!  That price is okay, if not fantastic.  I recall this thing
> is PPC based?  Don't really care if linux is on it, but it's nice to
> knwo :-)

This helps Sony deter and abolish the competition and, besides, they needed
an O/S for their peripheral hard-drive. They could not (/ought to have not)
used the competitor's product. You will see more and more vendors and
software makers who are(/were) 'Microsoft victims' moving to GNU/Linux.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    GPL'd 3-D Othello: http://othellomaster.com
  7:30am  up 14 days  0:07,  7 users,  load average: 0.38, 0.56, 0.69