Re: Novell's Messman: Only 2 Distros Will Survive

__/ [ Geico Caveman ] on Wednesday 22 March 2006 17:07 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2152466/novell-predicts-two-unix
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Novell boss Jack Messman is predicting that the open source operating
>> | system market will be reduced to two dominant suppliers in the next
>> | three to five years: Novell and Red Hat.
>> `----
>
> Its a brave but totally expected statement as he has a horse in the race.
> Interesting how he discounts a distro that has been beating both of his
> projected survivors - Ubuntu (code word for everything that is Debian
> based).

That's exactly the one I had in mind. If I recall correctly, MEPIS moved from
the Debian codebase to Ubuntu yesterday. Ubuntu is best bar none in
particular aspects. It is probably less suitable for a complex enterprise,
which is where Novell do a decent job. Red Hat seem to be strong with
servers ATM.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    GPL'd 3-D Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
  5:05pm  up 14 days  9:42,  8 users,  load average: 0.56, 0.96, 1.06