Re: Websites that don't work with Linux

__/ [ Justin C ] on Thursday 23 March 2006 14:24 \__

> my.tnt.com - spent quite a while tring to send a parcel this morning and
> ended up on the phone to TNT. Their response was that you have to use a
> Windows PC.
>
> Is there, anywhere on the web, or has anyone, a good standard email that
> can be sent to companies like this that goes on about standards
> compliance and why they shouldn't write for one OS/browser? Really I'd
> like something that has no copyright restrictions.
>
> I could write one myself but I know I'd probably not be able to do it as
> well as some others who have a better handle on the reasons why
> compliance is better.
>
> Thanks for any help you can give.
>
> Justin.

Post the URL to the contact form or publish the E-mail address. We can help
'amplify'. I already have my quick copy-and-paste for Office attachment
(appended below, borrowed from someone else), but I guess it's irrelevant.
Go to a Web standards site and you will soon find some bits to make up a
long and coherent letter of complaint.

===
LONG

I do not have a copy of Word, Excel, or PowerPoint.
I have no plans to buy one.
Word, Excel, and PowerPoint use proprietary data formats,
encouraging consumerism by forcing us to purchase new licenses
every time they "upgrade" their secret formats.
Send plain text, rich text format, html, or pdf instead.

SHORT

Word, Excel, and PowerPoint are unreliable, unmaintainable, and unsafe.
Send plain text, rtf, pdf, or W3C html instead.
===