Re: Hilf speaks about Linux through Microsoft eyes

  • Subject: Re: Hilf speaks about Linux through Microsoft eyes
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 16:21:55 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Friday 24 March 2006 16:13 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
> Lobo <not@xxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1871876320;fp;2;fpid;4
>>
>> What exactly does your group do?
>>
>> Essentially, we're a centre of competency for Open Source Software
>> (OSS) inside Microsoft. By running Linux and a variety of other OSS in
>> a highly Microsoft-centric IT environment, we're learning how those
>> technologies can better interoperate with Microsoft's proprietary
>> technologies. The lab consists of a few hundred servers plus a range
>> of PCs, collectively running over 40 different Linux distributions,
>> together with many different versions of Unix. These various systems
>> need to interoperate with the Windows-based networking,
>> human-resources, e-mail and other systems that run Microsoft. In the
>> research lab there's analysis, testing, benchmarking, a variety of
>> different interoperability scenarios that we work through, and a large
>> amount of resources that we provide to the rest of Microsoft so that
>> they can understand and learn more about OSS.
>
> Oh, great, and they'll be contributing patches and changes to those
> distros in order to iron out any incompatibilities for the
> reverse-engineered stuff to improve interoperability, won't they?
> Or why are they doing this?  To break things, perhaps?

It's a bit like "taste this, tell me if it's rotten". Microsoft will hand
over binaries to the Open Source lab. In turn, they will investigate and
confirm invalidity. Evil insiders perhaps, whose purpose and goal is the
same as their paylord -- to cripple the competition by all means possible.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | $> unzip; ping; mount /usr; grep; umount& sleep
  4:15pm  up 16 days  8:52,  8 users,  load average: 0.88, 0.85, 0.79