Re: Microsoft Office - One-Year Delay!

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Friday 24 March 2006 17:23 \__

http://news.com.com/2100-1012_3-6053504.html?part=rss&tag=6053504&subj=news

>>> Cool.  A one-year delay in something that we and our customers don't
>>> need and don't want anyway.
>>
>> Office 12 might have to go head-to-head with OpenOffice 3. By that time,
>> who knows how far OOo will have gotten; with over 100,000,000 users, Sun
>> will have rigour and finance to push the project onwards more quickly.
>> They have Google's backing, too.
>>

> Interesting thought.  Presumably Microsoft will have to explain why
> paying £300 for MS Office is a better proposition than using OpenOffice
> for free.

They already 'explain' this. They have started a FUD campaign where they list
so-called stories on failed migrations to OpenOffice within/across the
global industry. Find the needle in the haystack and then spend 100 million
dollars turning the needle into a spaceship rocket. Mind you, Firefox
announced earlier today that they might start advertisement campaigns in the
cinemas and TV. OpenOffice have begun doing that too, which is rather
unprecedented for FOSS.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    /earth: file system full
  6:15pm  up 16 days 10:52,  8 users,  load average: 1.08, 1.18, 1.13