Re: Cross-platform .NET

__/ [ Brad ] on Saturday 25 March 2006 23:18 \__

> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 17:14:44 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> http://www.itwriting.com/blog/?postid=387
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Microsoft will deliver a cross-platform .NET runtime targeting Windows
>> | and Mac OS X, with Linux and Solaris under consideration and licensed
>> | third-party implementations to be encouraged.
>> `----
>>
>> Reminds me of:
>>
>>         * http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-mono/
>>                 Mono brings .NET apps to Linux
>>
>>         * http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1909906,00.asp
>>                 Mainsoft, IBM Port .Net Apps to Linux, J2EE
>

> Could this be the beginning of MS REALLY doing something RIGHT?
> I doubt it, but we can only hope. The more willing they are willing to
> comply with standards, release ACTUAL development specs, the better off
> EVERYBODY is.

I am not sure their investor will be better off, so I will remain skeptic.
When was the last time I had the chance to say "Microsoft did something
right" or "Oh, that's nice"?

To use a timely example, the following comes from a long-time Windows
advocate who runs a popular Windows Web site.

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/47208/47208.html?Ad=1

,----[ Quote ]
| My advice is simple: Boycott IE. It?s a cancer on the Web that must
| be stopped. IE isn't secure and isn't standards-compliant, which makes
| it unworkable both for end users and Web content creators. Because of
| their user bases, however, Web developers are hamstrung into develop in
| for IE at the expense of established standards that work well in all
| other browsers. You can turn the tide by demanding more from Microsoft
| and by using a better alternative Web browser. I recommend and use
| Mozilla Firefox, but Apple Safari (Macintosh only) and Opera 8 are
| both worth considering as well.
`----

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "These characters were randomly picked"
http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux    ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
 10:40am  up 18 days  0:25,  9 users,  load average: 0.50, 0.62, 0.56