Re: Why Linux is Easier to Use than Mac OS X or Windows

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 18:56:31 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> http://neosmart.net/blog/?p=119
>
> In a nutshell:
>
> * Easier to Get: It?s Free!

Buy a Mac and turn it on.
Instant OSX.

> * Regular "Full" Releases

Like OSX, only with OSX you're not dealing with the kernel of the week.

> * More Hardware Compatible
Overall yes, but I don't have a need for a zSeries in my living room.
For PC's Windows has better hardware support for current hardware.
Linux is great for that Epson 9 pin printer circa 1983.

> * KDE

That's an advantage?
OSX UI blows away anything I have ever seen for Linux.

> * Unified Installation Database

Great if the application and all the inevitable dependencies exists in the
database.
Not so great if it doesn't.

> * True Out-of-Box Experience

What box might this be?
I buy a Mac and turn it on.
It doesn;t get any easier than that.

> * Easier to Customize

So that's why Linux users like to switch WM's, themes and all kinds of
fluff on what seems to be a daily basis.
When do you guys get time to get any work done?
FWIW OSX is customizable as well.

> * Huge Support Community

With 346 different distributions Lordy knows you need it.

> * Installing Apps

Huh?
First you have to hunt for it.
Then you have to hunt for a version that is made for your particular
version of Linux.
Then you have to hope that somebody made an RPM/Deb etc package and that it
is current version.
Then you have to hope all the dependencies work as well.

OSX?
Put the CD in,.....
Done.

> * There is a Distro for Everything

But not a single distro that does *everything*
Why is that?

Look Linux has it's advantages, it really does, but the list you have just
put up is laughable at best.