Re: 80 Universities and Colleges to Adopt Open Source

__/ [ Linønut ] on Sunday 26 March 2006 21:16 \__

> After takin' a swig o' grog, flatfish+++ belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>
>>> http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/?page=interactive01_mar27_2006
>>
>> I'll bet this is another one of those Linux success stories that will
>> disappear from view, like Munich which has gone underground.

It has been many years since I last heard of South Dakota's use of Microsoft
Windows. The migrations to Linux are all going fine; there's just nothing to
talk/hear about.

>> Personally, I think using Linux in University is a great idea, but let's
>> keep an eyeball on this one and see what happens in 6 months or so.
>>
>> Is there some place where there is a verifiable list of the schools moving
>> to Linux?

What for? What are you, Schindler?

> I wouldn't be so concerned about such a list.  It really makes sense to
> use Linux in a curriculum.  Much of the stuff you'd learn would
> interpolate pretty well to Windows, even for "dummy" stuff like word
> processors.

Open Source has finally opened the door to teaching of principles that:

        1. Does not depend on a commercial product

        2. Saves the Institute a great deal of money

        3. Saves the students a fair bit of money (licence at home)

        4. Puts emphasis on standards and formats

> Oh, also, I have to say I kind of like the idea of Linux as "dark
> matter" that is not reported in the press.  It allows people to get on
> with their work without becoming embroiled in religious issues, and
> without attracting "Microsoft Evangelists" who will visit your business
> or campus and start dunning the Powers That Be about purchasing licenses
> for what they term "quality products".
>
> Microsoft Evangelists -- The Jehovah's witnesses of consumer computing.

Take a look over your shoulder. They are always after you. Ask Quinn.