Re: Gates Interviewed on Release Delays

__/ [ Linønut ] on Tuesday 28 March 2006 13:10 \__

http://news.com.com/2100-1016_3-6054351.html?part=rss&tag=6054351&subj=news

>    The one nice thing we've seen with consumers is they really use Auto
>    Update, and so we're sort of their IT department in terms of
>    updating.
>
> Interesting.
>
> What's also a bit funny is that, after all these years, Microsoft is
> /still/ trying to get systems management right.

I  thought  that the more intersting bit was reluctance to improve  driver
compatibility. When the delay of Vista was announced most recently, device
drivers  were  named among the major reasons for the delay. The other  two
were security and something I cannot recall.

As  far as I know, Palm devices are not supported 'out of the box' either.
This  was  speculated  and then confirmed abotu 6 months ago. So  long  to
playing  fair  with the compeition. SuSE and Ubuntu, as merely 2  examples
among  many,  not only support Palm devices 'out the box', but  they  also
come with synchroniation and management software by default.

To expand further on the issue, Vista penalises OpenGL and there is intent
to  incorporate competition killers such as .NET, Sparkle (Flash  alterna-
tive), Graphical toolkit (to eliminate Photoshop) and so forth.   Netscape
springs to mind.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  6:30pm  up 20 days  8:15,  8 users,  load average: 0.43, 0.52, 0.60