Re: BoxTrapper/Filters (Was: Microsoft Breakup Imminent?...)

__/ [ Peter Köhlmann ] on Tuesday 28 March 2006 20:10 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> < snip >
>
>> I currently have Boxtrapper enabled for 5 mail accounts and I still check
>> the moderation queues at the end of each month, which makes it seem like a
>> rather benign solution. The big pitfall is people who refuse to verify
>> using BoxTrapper or do not comprehend the challenge. They get a reply up a
>> a month overdue. At least they have the cause/evidence in their box.
>>

> I have made it a policy to *always* respond to challenges *if* they come
> with my mail address, but are in reality spam.
> That way I make sure that the user with the C/R system gets at least the
> spam which seems to be coming from me (and naturally isn't)
>
> On the other hand, I *never* respond to challenges for genuine mail
> Either the user with C/R can correspond normally with me, or he isn't worth
> corresponding with

As I said, I only have C/R enabled for accounts that should not
(conventionally) be addressed. The UseNet E-mail is one such account as it
attracts nothing but around 20-30 spam per day. C/R delivers real messages
very, very rarely, maybe once per 400 messages. As I said, I am somewhat
apologetic and ashamed, but as Brad Templeton said, why should one be
penalised for attempting to end spam? The mechanisms of E-mails were poorly
built and there are no ideal solutions.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux    ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  8:10pm  up 20 days  9:55,  8 users,  load average: 1.44, 1.04, 0.81