Re: Linux Wows Crowd

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Wednesday 29 March 2006 09:44 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Novell Wows Crowd with Linux Desktop
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | "Our goal of Desktop 10 is to build a really easy-to-use, powerful
>> | desktop for general knowledge workers," said Nat Friedman, Novell
>> | vice president of Linux desktop engineering. "These are people who live
>> | in e-mail, in the browser, in the office suite -- not people who need a
>> | hundred different applications, but people whose lives really consist of
>> | just living in those applications."
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.sci-tech-today.com/story.xhtml?story_id=13000EIJ5LEE
>
> I agree with Novell in this, that there is a need for a basic office shell,
> ok many of us here would see these as lesser machines, but the majority of
> office functions around us don't need any more than OO, email/Internet.
> Removing some of the other clutter, at least from the desktop and main
> menu, I think will help those office people in their transition from MS to
> Linux.

Would it be fair to estimate that among home users, 80% will not require
anything but a browser (also for Webmail) and an office suite? Games apart,
of course, but for that you have PlayStation/GameCube, whose price equates
to a Windows+Office licence.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows O/S: chmod a-x internet; kill -9 internet
 10:15am  up 21 days  0:00,  10 users,  load average: 0.48, 0.46, 0.57