Re: Releasing New Hotsync Configuration

  • Subject: Re: Releasing New Hotsync Configuration
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 19:42:54 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.palm
__/ [ Kevin Eckart ] on Wednesday 29 March 2006 18:25 \__

> We have one server running Hotsync and Palm Desktop that several different
> Palm's sync to, each one to a specific user. They use the traditional
> cradle connected to PC to access the Hotsync on the server. We are
> beginning to rollout new Ethernet cradles to our remote locations
> effectively eliminating the need for a PC at that location. My question is
> how can I remotely change their Hotsync configuration file on their Palm to
> use the Ethernet cradle.
>
> TIA,
> Kevin

Hi, my best *guess* (so please don't count on it) is that you will need to
use GPRS, Bluetooth or other wireless methodologies to synchronise. I do not
believe that Ethernet can have packets channelled in this way and ultimately
be routed to HotSync Manager. I can envision how this can be achieved in
Linux, but it would not be simple. You could pipe the input from a
particular port number on eth0 to a device that corresponds to your cradle.
Sounds like a nightmare to set up.

Best wishes,