Re: Why Internet Explorer Should Not be Used

__/ [ B Gruff ] on Wednesday 29 March 2006 22:57 \__

> On Wednesday 29 March 2006 19:07 Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Why is anyone still using Internet Explorer?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | OK, how many times must Internet Explorer be ripped open like a hot
>> | 16-year old in a summer slasher movie before people finally get it:
>> | IE is not safe. Period. End of Statement.
>> `----
>>
>>         http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS8517467708.html
>
> TOSH!
> POPPYCOCK!
>
> These is just commie hatred of the god-fearing freedom-loving American
> corporate capitalist system.
> Gee ... shucks.... yeah, Internet Explorer might have ... kinda...  maybe..
> had a problem or two, but gee, come on now you guys.... that's jest becawz
> it's the biggest and... yeah... the best.  It's a big big target guys,
> becawz purdy well 100% of people CHOSE it, and love it for its enhanced
> internedd experience....
> ... sure guys, we've had to patch a couple.... well, a few.... bugs in our
> time, but gee, the NEW Internet Explorer 7 will be THE most secure
> Internedd Explorer ever - yes sireee, ah can promize y'awl that.... and
> when you guys get Internedd Explorer 7 with VISTA, well... gee.... I'm
> speechless, guys......

FWIW, the essay attempts to give a somewhat balanced view. It will not tell
you that Internet Explorer 7 has had critical vulnerabilities *ALREADY*,
despite being in beta and *despite* being closed-source. IE7 will not run on
O/Sen older than XP, which means that roughly half of all Windows (business)
users will remain with IE6. It will be the same story all over again. Same
with Vista, whose release was admittedly delayed (according to Microsoft)
due to security, among other factors.

The Windows codebase is not modular. Until they actually do the 60% re-write,
all they can ever do is add a hack that addresses a vulnerability within
days (owing to urgency, rush). Many other mouth-gaping holes remain just
around the corner. Dell /already/ bundle Firefox with the O/S (in the UK).
Expect all vendor to do the same, in due time. From what I understand, when
Compaq put Netscape on the O/S, Microsoft threatened to break the deal.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Billigator: eats your filesystem alive
  5:30am  up 21 days 19:15,  10 users,  load average: 0.08, 0.31, 0.41