Re: Microsoft on the slippery slope?

  • Subject: Re: Microsoft on the slippery slope?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 14:17:32 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ opity ] on Thursday 30 March 2006 12:21 \__

> On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 11:40:49 +0100, Gordon wrote:
>

>> Is Microsoft about to collapse?
>> That's a pretty bold question when you ask it about a company with $56
>> billion in cash, but just take a look at it from a business standpoint -
>> fortunately we have a solid example for comparison (that's how Harvard
>> Business School does this sort of thing.)
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/n9nuv
>
> Very interesting read. Linux certainly is pushing Microsoft more and more.
> One has to wonder how it took MS ages to develop e.g. IE7 when it's mostly
> a copy of FF features which comes for free and for every platform.

"Collapse"  is a very strong word. I notice that Gordon oderated it  some-
what and 'cushioned the fall' by equating this to a "slippery slope".

Microsoft will not disappear quite so quickly as it will most probably mu-
tate.  It  will attempt to evolve and catch up with the trends, much  like
IBM.  IBM  are probably a bigger rival to them than Google, and a risk  to
manage  as well. Sooner or later, IBM will offer Open Source solutions  to
all clients simply because "it's the better choice".

Microsoft are changing. In fact, they has already done so by moving to We-
b-based services (notably Live which will incorporate Live Office Applica-
tions).  Thus  far, Microsoft are not doing well. Bill Gates has  said  on
various  occasions that services are the future, indirectly implying  that
he  hasn't much trust in the prospects of Windows, Office and the rest  of
the flagships.

OpenOffice  and Firefox are few threats among a larger pool. Come to  con-
sider  Web-based  applications like ZIMBRA (http://zimbra.com/ ,  demo  on
site),  which  is one among various examples of the power of  Asynchronous
JavaScript (P/L) and XML (remote database-ish on server).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Proprietary cripples communication
  2:05pm  up 22 days  3:50,  10 users,  load average: 0.66, 0.78, 0.61