Re: Disappointment with Linux

__/ [ Black Dragon ] on Friday 31 March 2006 01:18 \__

> 7 wrote:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>>> I am very disappointed with Linux installers. Disappointed because they
>>> have become so intervention-free. They make me feel like a boor. They ask
>>> which language I speak because they cannot read my mind. Sometimes, they
>>> make me feel special; they ask me to swap CD's.
>
>>> Linux has no future. It offers no challenges anymore. It's only for those
>>> idiots who just want things to always work...
>
>> Boo hoo hoo! I'm crying with you.
>> Its not possible now to change motherboard,
>> video card, network card, sound card and get a machine
>> to hickup even just a little bit.
>> My Knoppix DVD 4.0.2 version just booted up with the correct
>> resolution video, sound, networking and everything intact
>> forcing me to sit there and do nothing but twiddle my thumbs.
>> Boo hoo hoo!
>
> Last weekend I took a Knoppix v4.0.2 (CD) for a spin for the first time
> on an old Compaq Presario 550Mhz / Celeron and wasn't surprised everything
> worked.  Even the onboard Ensonic sound which since day one we've always
> had a hell of a time with using Windows after abandoning the custom restore
> disks (Windows 98) that originally came with the computer. The speed at
> which everything worked was so painfully slow though that as far as I'm
> concerned it was useless. Needless to say, that computer is going to be
> reduced to router/firewall/server duty with OpenBSD since it's worthless
> as a desktop now.

I had a Compaq Presario which ran Windows 98. I couldn't quite get Ubuntu
installed on it as it ran out of memory before installation began. It only
had 32 MB of RAM, I ought to add. BD, do you reckon that OpenBSD will cope
with that amount of memory? 400Mhz AMD chip?

> This weekend I'll be booting that Knoppix disk just for kicks on a brand
> new system built solely for gaming. The system is now running Windows XP 64
> bit trial, and it works flawlessly. I have no doubt that when the trial
> times out I'll be happy to purchase the OS. The MSI (K8N Diamond Plus) mobo
> is based on the Nvidia nForce4 chipset and is loaded with all the spiffy
> goodies gamers (my son in this case) need. I'd be mighty impressed if the
> SLI (dual Geforce 7900 GT GPUs in 16x PCIe slots) graphics worked from the
> get-go. Same if it recognizes either of the on board SATA RAID controllers.
> If I'm happy with what I see I'll likely go buy some more hard disks and a
> boxed SuSE distro and attempt to take a full install for a ride.
>
> Unless somebody has a better suggestion about Linux distros' for cutting
> edge hardware that is.

SuSE would probably be perfect. As long as you needn't *chokes* pay for it as
a corporate client.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useful fact: close elevator button = Express Mode
  7:15am  up 22 days 21:00,  10 users,  load average: 1.04, 1.10, 0.99