Re: Is Windows becoming irrelevant?

  • Subject: Re: Is Windows becoming irrelevant?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 06:37:02 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy, comp.os.linux.misc, alt.os.windows-xp
__/ [ Aquila Deus ] on Sunday 30 April 2006 21:19 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [ notbob ] on Sunday 30 April 2006 20:39 \__

>> > What about Google Earth.... useless    iTunes.... garbage
>> >
>> > Photoshop.... Gimp    Encarta.... wikipedia
>>                  ^^^^
>>       Can even run Photoshop plug-ins.
>
> gimp can't let you edit the alpha channel like greyscale images.

I beg to differ. The GIMP users mailing list and newsgroup get questions on
that matter, usually from recent Photoshop migrants. Just about anything is
possible with the GIMP, either in the form of Photoshop plugins or
Script/Python Fu. It just happens to be scattered all over the Web, so
requires some quick searching.

>> iTunes.... Songbird
>
> Does songbird even support equalizer or cross-fadding? You should use
> wxmusik!

Songbird is still young in terms of development. The lastest release is
titled "Proof of Concept" if I recall correctly. The Windows version was
released first; the Mac and Linux versions were released just a fortnight or
so ago. Cross-fadding is possible in both XMMS and AmaroK (I use both). In
XMMS, this comes in the form of a plug-in:

http://www.eisenlohr.org/xmms-crossfade/download.html

I don't see why Songbird should struggle to implement such as easy feature.
It's merely about volume mixing.

>> Google Earth.... NASA World Wind.
>
> In fact it's the WW2D which can run on linux, not the original 3D world
> wind. Besides, I can't see the roads around my home in WW2D as in
> Google Earth.

Use Google Maps < http://maps.google.com/ > then. Its development team
recently received all the finest-level maps from the Google Earth team.
Google Maps is less about flash and more about portability and pragmaticism.
It also predates Google Earth (Keyhole acquition).

>> All you have to do is pull your head out of your rectum (no offence
>> intended) and realise that a large(r) spectrum of software exists out
>> there. It's just less broadly advertised and (over)hyped.
>
> The point is that all the good linux apps run on windows too (the list
> you gave). So, if you use windows you get the best of both, while on
> linux you'll miss half of them - that makes windows a much superior
> choice to me.

Okay, but it _does_ change the tune, doesn't it? *smile* We have at least
reached a partial state of consent. Every excellent program for GNU/Linux is
sooner or later ported to native (non-X-dependent) OS X and Windows. In that
sense, Windows users have little to lose other than money to be spent on
licences, the loss of security, and the increased need for maintenance (e.g.
filesystem corrections, Registry bloat, occasional re-installation).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    #ff0000 Hot Chilli Peppers
  6:20am  up 3 days 13:17,  13 users,  load average: 0.43, 0.52, 0.64