Re: turn a swf into a hyperlink

__/ [ Ian Davies ] on Monday 01 May 2006 14:42 \__

>> __/ [ Ian Davies ] on Saturday 29 April 2006 23:11 \__
>>
>> > how do you turn a flash (swf) file into a link on a webpage. cant seem
>> > see anyway to do this
>>
>> This cannot be done. An image or text can be turned into links by
> buffering
>> them with the <a> tag. I very much doubt that you could achieve the same
>> thing with <object> as it leads to ambiguity. When you press an <object>,
> it
>> is the object that interprets the signal. This will devour the signal
> before
>> the browser receives it. Having said that, certain sites have buttons that
>> are Flash. Then, it is the _Flash_ (.swf) where the link is specified and
>> interpreted. The (X)HTML markup does not serve this role. The SWF element
> is
>> an independent black box that grabs an arbitary, predefined region of the
>> page.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Roy
>
> Thanks
> I have seen many sites where you clike on a movie/annimation etc and it
> takes you to a new page etc. How is this acheived? There are no buttons on
> the annimations you just click them.
> Ian

It has been 5 years since I last worked with Flash, but you have the option,
among object properties, to specify an associated action. One of them is "go
to page", which takes the Web browser where you want it to go.

Hope it helps,

Roy

PS - My terminology above is admittedly inaccurate due to memory that has
gone rusty.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Ping this IP, see if it responds the second time"
http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux    ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E