Re: protecting email addresses from bots gathering them for spam senders

  • Subject: Re: protecting email addresses from bots gathering them for spam senders
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 13:22:09 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster
__/ [ Karl Groves ] on Tuesday 02 May 2006 13:07 \__

> Jerry Stuckle <jstucklex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
>
>> Karl Groves wrote:
>>> "Brian Cryer" <brianc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in

Yes, I'm aware. Several months ago, a fellow blogger took off the contact
form because he argued it begged for SPAM. Others have had different
experiences.

Look at this another way. Even when a Web form (if properly built, unlike
mine) is used, the E-mail address cannot be extracted from it and then be
passed from one spammer to another using CD's/Internet. If the spammer bangs
on the script time after time, the form can be relocated (URL-wise).

>>> A properly coded contact form IS immune to spam.
>>>

>> Not completely.  You can implement captcha and all kinds of other
>> things, but you can't stop people from posting spam manually.  It's a
>> never-ending fight.

Yes, and the crackers' tools are propagated from one spammer to another. It's
called re-use.  They could probably start their own library/repository, e.g.
Perl::SPAM.

> True. If some spammer really wants to, he can go ahead and type his
> message in manually and go through all that.  At that point, I'd probably
> actually read the message, just to see what kind of moron would spend so
> much time on one message.

The least you can do is slow them down and deter misude. Spammers are lazy.
They go for easy prey.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Download Othello: http://othellomaster.com
  1:15pm  up 4 days 20:12,  11 users,  load average: 1.35, 0.81, 0.56