Re: Wine (was: Freespire)

  • Subject: Re: Wine (was: Freespire)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 07:23:54 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ dank ] on Wednesday 03 May 2006 05:18 \__

> Roy wrote:
>> It would have indeed been nice to have tools like CrossOver Office for
>> free.
>
> What's Wine, then, chopped liver?  I've been running Windows Firefox on
> Wine
> for months now, and it's quite usable.  Progress is rapid these days;
> we're about one little patch away from vanilla wine being able to
> install
> the VB6 IDE (I just installed it tonight, thanks to that one little
> patch).
>
> If you think Wine isn't good enough, feel free to help improve it.
> It's not hard to find a place to contribute.
> See
>   http://wiki.winehq.org/SummerOfCode
> for some ideas (and, if you're a student, some funding!).
> - Dan

Nothing is wrong with Wine, Dan. I didn't mean to offend and I was merely
using CrossOver as an exemplar. I have admiration for the Wine project as I
never used CrossOver or Win4Lin (are any of these related at all?)...

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2006/03/06/wine-steps-up/

I have had the change to use Wine, which was installed on my SuSE boxes. I
gave it a kick a few times in the past. It was not perfect, but I use an old
version of the software (~2002) and I merely tested to water to see what it
can manage, shall I ever want to run Window executables in the future (never
needed to so far).

The perils to such projects are probably the advancement of free
virtualisation solutions such as VMWare of Xen (Open Source). Then comes
another factor which is dual-boot. I believe that ,_optimally_, all should
work in their platform natively. Now, if only more developers were
enlightened enough to compile for diversity, choosing the right
(non-lockin-driven) SDK's or even making source code available. Since it
ain't gonna happen any time soon, Wine is a project that will see glamour as
more people migrate to GNU/Linux.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  7:10am  up 5 days 14:07,  11 users,  load average: 0.49, 0.70, 0.66