Re: Windows Sucks - AGAIN!

  • Subject: Re: Windows Sucks - AGAIN!
  • From: Jim Richardson <warlock@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 19:08:11 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

On Tue, 2 May 2006 15:30:05 -0500,
 Erik Funkenbusch <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 02 May 2006 18:27:13 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Some time ago, in the context of this particular thread, I mentioned one of
>> my cousins losing Windows, which according to him, "crashed in a major way".
>>
>> I have just received an E-mail from my other cousin (the second among the two
>> households where I stayed):
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| my computer  died...something about an imminent failure ...i'm goingto
>>| loose all my  files...any suggestions?
>> `----
>
> That sounds like a hardware problem.  Most likely she started getting popup
> notifications about disk write failures.  This happens a lot with faulty
> cables, or when bad sectors develop on a drive (especially common in
> laptops that get a lot of abuse).
>
>> That's the very modern HP laptop which I was using over there. It runs
>> Windows XP. So both households had to cope with a major crash/wipe in a
>> matter of just weeks and less than a fortnight apart. How's that as a Wakeup
>> Call? I have not lost any files, not have I re-installed the O/S on my
>> current machine since it had been set up in 2003.
>
> So you're going to blame hardware failur on Windows.  Typical.  Say
> anything, even if it's not true, to support your pet OS.

you proceed from claiming that it "sounds like a hardware problem"
straight to chastising Roy for blaming MS-Windows "for a hardware
problem"

Why don't we wait and see if it actually *is* a hardware problem before
we give MS-Windows a bye on this m'kay?

I never believe anything until it's been officially denied.