Re: Who keeps the COLA stats?

  • Subject: Re: Who keeps the COLA stats?
  • From: spike1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 13:35:32 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Sender: Andrew Halliwell <spike1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> did eloquently scribble:
> Larry, there isn't much point in replying to flamebait. See the previous
> couple of threads, both initiated by the same person in the past 24 hours.
>
> Newsgroups statistics are nothing new. There are many scripts lying about
> (some public, some private) for mailing lists as well. You can search the
> Net and post stats to your favourite groups/lists.

Oh, you could write one yourself...
I did a couple in perl a while back. (couple of years ago)

User                                         Number of Posts
 Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>            409
 "DFS" <nospam@xxxxxxxx>                                 223
 The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx     213
 Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxx>                              158
 Sinister Midget <sinister@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>                125
 Erik Funkenbusch <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>          117
 flatfish+++ <flatfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>                    104
 Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>                       99
 M <ihatespam.0.a101888@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>                 96
 JEDIDIAH <jedi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>                           92

User Agent                                               Number of Posts
slrn                                                     1024
knode                                                    941
pan                                                      550
g                                                        479
microsoft outlook express                                394
thunderbird                                              159
mozilla thunderbird (total)                              149
mozilla thunderbird for Unknown                          149
                                                         135
forte agent                                              135
mt-newswatcher                                           135

(the second one just reads the X-User-Agent, X-Newsreader and references
lines to detect the reader used. pine puts its ID in the reference, but not
in the user agent or newsreader lines)

I only wrote them as an excuse to learn a bit of perl.
--
|                          |What to do if you find yourself stuck in a crack|
|  spike1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx    |in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|