Re: [News] 11 Reasons Why .NET Will Fail

__/ [ John Bailo ] on Friday 05 May 2006 15:38 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Why Microsoft's .NET is about to fail
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Blogger "MoreAmbitious" has eleven - in my opinion - valid points why
>> | Microsoft's .NET strategy is about to fail. VB6 people aren't switching,
>> | few relevant and innovative open-source projects, etc. Think twice
>> | before using it, because MS isn't either (in Vista)!
>> `----
>>
>> http://digg.com/programming/Why_Microsoft_s_.NET_is_about_to_fail
>
> He says there are no .NET jobs on dice:
>
> Searching
>
> .NET
> Jobs 1 - 30 of 11977 matching your search request.
>
> java
> Jobs 1 - 30 of 15499 matching your search request.
>
> c#
> Jobs 1 - 30 of 5122 matching your search request.
>
> vb.net
> Jobs 1 - 30 of 2128 matching your search request.

Depends *where*. Mind you, America is often behind when it comes to
interoperability (no offence intended). The CNN's report (if not biased)
took into account the US job market, which is by no means reflection of a
global status-quo.

See today's article, which percolated to many Web sites over the morning...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/05/04/wcit_open_source/

,----[ Quote ]
| WCIT The US has fallen way behind other nations with regard to its embrace
| of open source technology, and the situation may only get worse. Open
| source coders face their grandest test to date as organizations place
| more and more scrutiny on the origins and value of FOSS (free and open
| source software) products.
`----

And _yes_, Open Source is an implication of interoperability. .NET is about
locking code in a closed-source fashion.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    The most satisfying eXPerience is UNIX
  3:40pm  up 7 days 22:37,  12 users,  load average: 0.14, 0.15, 0.24