Re: [News] Windows Tablet (UMPC) "Universally Slated"

  • Subject: Re: [News] Windows Tablet (UMPC) "Universally Slated"
  • From: Jim Richardson <warlock@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 11:43:35 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

On Fri, 5 May 2006 13:06:40 -0500,
 Erik Funkenbusch <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 05 May 2006 12:24:51 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Speaking from personal experience, a close colleague who recently bought a
>> Windows tablet rarely ever uses it. She looks like a lumberjack carrying it
>> around with a strap on the shoulder. All others use a Palm handheld. The
>> Nokia 770 looks tempting as well:
>>
>> Nokia scores hit with wireless internet device
>
> Origami is currently overpriced, that's true.  And underpowered, but as
> usual, as the technology increases, the prices will come down and the
> performance will go up.
>
> Because of various constraints today, that does inded limit it's potential
> market a great deal, but as the battery life increases, so does it's
> market.

Battery life has been stuck at under 200Wh/Kg for almost 10 years.
There's no reason to expect a huge increase in that in the next year.

The increases in battery life we have been seeing, are mostly a result of
reduced power consumption, not improved battery energy density.

> The Nokia device, on the other hand, is limited by worse factors.  Too
> small for real work, too slow, not enough memory (and not expandable).  The
> Origami, for instance, uses regular SODIMM's and can be replaced with more
> memory if you need it.

You want to evoke Moore's law in Origami's favour, but ignore it for the
Nokia 770. Just as The Origami device will get better/cheaper with
further revisions, so will the 770 or it's successors. Additionally,
Nokia has a lot of crossover research available from the cellphone
stuff. One of the reasons the Nokia 770 is relatively inexpensive, is
that it uses a lot of OTS, or nearly so, parts.

> I find the Nokia just way too small to do anything useful on.  Even as an
> e-reader, you can't see a full page at a text size easy enough to read.

It works great for me. I've found FBReader about the best ereader out
there, on any platform. I can easily hold the 770 in one hand, finger on
the +- button (which advances/backs the page in FBReader). I set the
orientation to be portrait mode, full screen. (easy to do without
needing the stylus.) and happily read on the bus, or in a resturaunt,
etc.

> Origami is for people that want tablet PC's, but don't want to lug around
> laptop sized ones.

And have ~$2000 to spend.

Origami is at that awkward size, too big to stuff in a shirt pocket, yet
too small to be a comfortable laptop. Too big for one hand, too small,
for two. I far prefer my 770, especially at the price differential.

I'd consider buying an Origami, if the price were in the $500 range, in
fact, I've bought similar devices in the past. Fujitsu has made a series
of tablets for over 10 years that have stayed about the same physical
size, while getting lighter, and more powerful. Mind you. I've bought
them used, on ebay, for far less than they ran new, they were priced at
about the same range as the Origami, but they are basically vertical
market devices when new, as they, like Origami, are too damn expensive
for most punters.

The Nokia is light, has good battery life for it's job. The battery (and
charger) are standard Nokia items and available in most cell stores. The
screen is fantastic, the built in wifi and bluetooth work well. Perfect?
no, of course not. I'd like to see more RAM, and a faster CPU, if the
latter doesn't draw down the battery life too much.

Fornication, n.:
        Term used by people who don't have anybody to screw with.