Re: [News] "Linux" or "GNU/Linux"?

__/ [ Chrissie Brown ] on Sunday 07 May 2006 22:02 \__

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&Itemid=&task=view&id=2242

,----[ From the article: ]
| Nevertheless, Torvalds is also quoted as saying: "Think of Richard
| Stallman as the great philosopher and think of me as the engineer."
`----

This sounds like an innocent statement, but others would say: Give me a
break, Linus. Who is it that wrote EMacs and *so* many other GNU utilities?

I remember a recent interview with Stallman where it was evident that he got
bitter. Mind you, not only Stallman was the giant (as in "standing on the
shoulders of giants") to get little attribution and recognition. There was
also friction involving the creator of Minix, as the following article would
suggest so:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MINIX

        http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/opensources/book/appa.html

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Tanenbaum

,----[ Snipper ]
| Tanenbaum started a famous, inflammatory Usenet discussion with Torvalds
| about the microkernel, but Linus and Andrew appear to be on good
| speaking terms; Linus wants it understood that he holds no animosity
| towards Tanenbaum.
`----

But don't get me wrong. I have great respect and admiration for Linus. But to
put things in balance...

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Play Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
  4:15am  up 10 days 11:12,  7 users,  load average: 0.75, 0.87, 0.78