Re: installing and uninstalling on Linux

  • Subject: Re: installing and uninstalling on Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 11:33:17 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux
__/ [ BlackTopBum ] on Sunday 07 May 2006 01:57 \__

> John Salerno said something like a ...
>
>> Linux, but it sounds like it still leaves directories behind. But if you
>> delete these directories, is it then completely gone? No files spread
>> all over the place?
>
> Not like winders and all that registry crap. Yep to our question. 99% of
> the time there's noting left on the system except if a user has a
> .program_name left behind - it's to be manually removed. BTW, I like having
> my personal data files around in my /home for those times when a re-install
> in required - I then don't need to reconfigure the app and get my data back
> (esp. email).

Addendum to my last item...

The following has just hit the front page of Digg.com:

        http://digg.com/linux_unix/Howto%3A_Install_Ubuntu_software

Points to:

        http://www.beginningubuntu.com/software_1.html

I think you will find it useful because it's visual and detailed. It also
explains things in the conext of Windows, which you may be more familiar
with and accustomed to.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    It is no longer uncommon to be uncommon
 11:30am  up 9 days 18:27,  12 users,  load average: 2.02, 1.32, 0.73