Re: about a 301 redirection using modrewrite

__/ [ pegasusflightresources@xxxxxxxxx ] on Friday 05 May 2006 20:34 \__

> Luciano A. Ferrer wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I was following the http://www.seomoz.org/articles/301-redirects.php
>> article, trying to do that with one of my test sites
>> I added this to the .htaccess file:
>>
>> RewriteEngine On
>> RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^domain\.com.ar
>> RewriteRule ^/(.*) http://domain.com.ar/$1 [R=301,L]
>>
>> but nothing change :(
>> So, if the user came from http://www.domain.com.ar it will be 301ed to
>> http://domain.com.ar
>>
>> Or not? any idea?
>>

>> TIA, and sorry for the bad english :)
>>
>> --
>>   Luciano A. Ferrer
>>   laferrerQuiTadme@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>   http://relojurbano.com.ar .algún día volverás.
>>
>> ... Uy el nervio estaba vivo...
>
> You might also be able to use a short little JavaScript and a very
> small page to redirect to the correct domain/host.  An example follows:
>
> /*Don't mind me leaving out a !DOCTYPE declaration*/
>
> This should use the location element of window to redirect the browser
> to your other site.  You could easily replace the 'window.location'
> with 'location.href' if you want W3C validated code, but I personally
> wouldn't care whether it is valid or not.  As long as it runs, it is
> perfectly okay.
>
> I have the honor to remain your most humble and Ob't Sv't in our war
> against the King.

Users  will  loathe  it; Not all users have JS  enabled/supported;  Search
engines  will  not follow and obey the redirection and the list  goes  on.

JavaScript  might be fine for a one-off re-direction of some page (yes,  I
have  a few for historical reasons), but all in all, JS is no  alternative
to server-side (thus rather transparent) redirection.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Computers are useless. They only solve problems"
  7:25pm  up 9 days  2:22,  15 users,  load average: 3.96, 3.48, 2.09