Re: TX power switch: Anyone else having problems?

  • Subject: Re: TX power switch: Anyone else having problems?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 18:55:59 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
__/ [ jeff ] on Saturday 06 May 2006 17:05 \__

> (PeteCresswell) wrote:
>> Per Doug Warner:
>>> When I got it new, a few months ago, the power button was hard to
>>> press in far enough.  I added a stick-on bump to make it easier to
>>> press.
>>>
>>> Now, it's been getting worse, in that I have to press it up to 5 times
>>> to get it to turn on or off.    I may have to send it back for repair.
>>> Has this happened to anyone else?
>>
>> I didn't experience the progressive deterioration, but I'd say that mine
>> is much harder to press than I would have expected.
>
> I've owned a number of PDAs, including the TX, and my experience is that
> the power switch is often the weak link.  Because of that, I always
> install PowerOFF - which puts a power-off icon in your launcher, and use
> that to power off the device.  And I usually power-on using one of the
> application buttons.
>
> Jeff

Palm  have  apparently not learned their lesson. In the past few years  in
this  group,  people  have  voiced similar  complaints,  yet  the  context
involved  different  models and devices from Palm. The two devices that  I
have  (M130 and Tungsten T) *both* lost the function of the power  button,
although  with the Tungsten, this seems to have improved recently, after a
year of being totally dysfunctional.

it  is often better to set your palm to auto-off after 30 seconds, use the
sliding  mechanism (along with the appropriate options in Prefs) to invoke
"screen off". To switch on, either use the other buttons (typically 4 to 6
of  them  would do the trick) and use the sliding mechanism if your  model
has  it (I cannot recall exactly how the T-X differs from the T5 and other
predecessors).

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    GPL'd 3-D Othello: http://othellomaster.com
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  6:50pm  up 9 days  1:47,  13 users,  load average: 0.92, 0.92, 0.76