Re: [News] Java Becomes More Linux-Friendly

begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Saturday 06 May 2006 08:59 \__
>
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> Sun to make Java more Linux-friendly
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>

> http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-6068852.html?part=rss&tag=6068852&subj=news
>>
>> Not sure I really understood that one...
>
> This was probably one of the first article on the matter (among about 20 that
> I have seen since). Here is a more elaborate report:
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/05/05/java_linux_licensing/
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| The company said it is hammering out changes to its Java Runtime
>| Environment (JRE) license that will make it easier to distribute the
>| runtime with Linux. The JRE is a part of the Java Development Kit
>| (JDK), which features Java tools for programming in Java.
>|
>| "This will make it easier for the...developers to get their hands on
>| the runtime with the operating system they are using. We are broadening
>| the distribution of the platform," Sun Enterprise Java Platform vice
>| president Karen Padir said. Padir was unwilling to provide further
>| information, saying Sun would provide details at this month's annual
>| JavaOne conference in San Francisco.
> `----
>
> So we are yet to hear what happens.
Ahhhh - okay - I couldn't find it because it wasn't there...

> There is also a lot of gossip over
> open-sourcing Java. Imagine to yourself Java distros *gasp*...

I think this would be an excellent step forward, although there is the
blackdown JRE which is open, I think?  Blackdown is the recommended one
for debian, anyway, so it's the one I have on the desktop machines here.
It's mostly good :-)

I think Sun would benefit enormously from releasing Java into the wild.
They're moving hard now at open-sourcing Solaris, although I've not been
tracking the debate about the licensing - is it seen as GPL compatible,
or not?

If Java were to be open-sourced, would be it GPL compatible, or not?

I can see Sun wanting to do deals with embedded manufacturers which
might encourage them to look hard at dual-licensing (or even
duel-licensing, to paraphrase a regular here), but equally, I could see
them benefitting hugely from pushing the best bits of Solaris into the
Linux source tree, which they don't appear to be doing.  Perhaps they
cannot decide where their business should go, and are trying to keep all
the doors open?

Doubt is a pain too lonely to know that faith is his twin brother.
- Kahlil Gibran