Re: [News] Who Doesn't Contribute to Open Source?

__/ [ Mathew P. ] on Saturday 06 May 2006 09:12 \__

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2006/05/open_source_who.html

> So they are perfectly willing to enjoy the benefits of the GPL, but refuse
> to contribute on old "intellectual property" fallback? I hate to use
> the term, but hypocrite comes to mind.

May  I  suggest the term "capitalisation"? Companies that  build  powerful
software,  standing on the shoulders of giants, fear the release of  their
business 'recipes' that put them in a position of advantage. Google is one
example  that  comes  to mind and I still think they ought  to  contribute
_MORE_  to  the  Open Source community. I don't expect them to  GPL  their
algorithms  (that  will  be  absurd for a brand that  was  IPO'd).  I  do,
however, think that they should realise that Linux on the desktop is their
friend.  Windows Vista is intended to fight Google very viciously, so long
as the courts don't crucify it (the hum has reached the US Feds and the EU
already).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Roughly 2% of your keyboard is O/S-specific
  9:25am  up 8 days 16:22,  13 users,  load average: 1.14, 0.79, 0.68