Re: [Article] - Site launches 'Chinese Wikipedia'

__/ [ Paul B ] on Friday 12 May 2006 15:34 \__

> From : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4761301.stm
>
> China's leading web search company has launched an online,
> user-generated encyclopedia modelled on the US-based Wikipedia, which
> is blocked by Beijing.
> The new service from Baidu.com, Baidupedia, is heavily self-censored
> to avoid offending the Chinese government.
>
> Wikipedia had become increasingly popular in China until blocked in
> 2005.
>
> < snip>

Hey Paul, check out what I happened to notice on the BBC earlier on...

Title: Google strives for more openness

,----[ Quote ]
| Talking to the BBC, Mr Schmidt also reflected on Google's decision to
| adhere to Chinese government censorship rules in order to launch its
| new site in China.
`----

Look at the title and then have a glance at the article. Do you see the
paradox?