Re: [News] Microsoft Said to Have Bribed GoDaddy

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Friday 12 May 2006 13:21 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Open Source Fights Back
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Question: The OpenSourceParking.com announcement cites a Netcraft
>> | report, which found that GoDaddy.com's migration from Linux to Windows
>> | caused Apache to lose server share. Was this event the sole impetus
>> | for OpenSourceParking.com?
>> |
>> | Perens: Not the first. It's part of a continuing behavior pattern by
>> | Microsoft that I think it's fair to call "dirty fighting." GoDaddy was
>> | using Apache (I assume on Linux) because it was a great technical
>> | solution. They didn't switch to IIS on Windows Server 2003 for any
>> | technical reason. The switch was accompanied by a press release by
>> | GoDaddy, containing Microsoft promotional language. Now, I've changed
>> | many servers from one thing to another, but I've never made a press
>> | release about it. GoDaddy wouldn't be doing that unless Microsoft had
>> | offered them something valuable in return. There has been talk in the
>> | domain business that Microsoft has been offering the large domain
>> | registries a wad of cash to switch their parked sites. There is no
>> | other reason to do this than to influence the Netcraft figures.
>> `----
>>
>>                         http://www.itbusinessedge.com/item/?ci=15108
>
> You can start an avalanch by rolling one small pebble.
>
> Imagine your a succesfull owner of an Internet hosting company. You have
> topped out so probably already have the number of clients you are likely to
> get, your growth charts show a steady growth, but nothing spectacular.

I already have had some reasons to loathe GoDaddy:

        http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/03/31/uninvited-mail/

> Your on good money but no big bonus's coming along. Then MS wave a wad of
> money at you, well many will be tempted. Afterall, a very large proportion
> of your customers probably have no idea what OS is on the server they host
> with.

The  thing is, many people threatened to ditch GoDaddy in response to this
move.  I read it in a press release. I guess that, in due time, they  have
calmed down. Those who left or will leave (despite the inconvenience) will
not  add  up to a loss that is on par with Microsoft's rewards. Mind  you,
the  interview  above  does not mention a few important points  (albeit  I
didn't read it in depth, admittedly):

        1. Existing sites that are hosted by GoDaddy felt beyrayed by the
           move, but they will not be able to park their domains elsewhe-
           re. Often enough, the move is such a PITA, so they are unlike-
           ly to even bother.

        2. All these parked domains (combined) could probably be  managed
           on just a few boxes.  But  that's not how  Netscraft aggregate
           their statistics. It's a matter of boatding figure. They  earn
           a fake card to bargain with.

> But there are people who do care what they host OS is. Developers, IT
> people, they are supporters for both host types, but still at the moment
> UNIX/Linux is the biggest, so why?

It  is  often  a Webmaster that makes the hosting choice.  Fortunately,  a
large  propertion of them are developers. The rest are designers who  feel
comfortable  enough  with  the  notion  of FTP  and  that  cushion  called
Dreamweaver or Frontpage.

> Well basically you can put your site onto a UNIX/Linux host and thats the
> end of the job. It is such a reliable system that you don't tend to even
> consider asking for reliability figures when you are looking for a host.

My  Web hosts have had one of their server up (without any reboots) for 60
days.  It  runs Red Hat 9. That's the one which drives two domains of  min
and  I  estimate that it runs over 100 sites, 24/7. The newer server  that
they have may have never required a reboot, as yet.

> But when you are looking for an MS host, because a customer specified it,
> you do have to look at what ever information you can find on reliability.
> You have to write code in such a way that vital data is copied off as
> quickly as you can, because if your site takes orders or other input from
> users you can't risk an almost daily 'server down, mirror in use' session
> screwing things up.

Also see the following discussion:

http://www.tophosts.com/forum/general-hosting-forum/437-windows-linux-hosting.html

> But still, a very public 'We have switched to MS' is likely to build
> momentum amongst the uneducated and the plain stupid.

Of  course.  Backed by some pamphlets and AdWords for search phrases  like
'linux',  Bill Gates can bet his Beepy that it will influence people, much
to their subsequent disappointment.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  1:30pm  up 14 days 20:27,  9 users,  load average: 0.86, 0.74, 0.68