Re: [News] Windows Losing Its Popularity

__/ [ billwg ] on Thursday 11 May 2006 16:02 \__

http://www.google.com/trends?q=windows%2C+xp%2C+linux&ctab=0&date=all&geo=all

> You have to be able to interpret statistics as well as generate them,
> roy!  That's where you always mess it up.

I  *did*  interpret them in other paths down this thread, or at least  put
forward some possibilities. I never misinterpreted anything as, apart from
the link, my only statement was contained in the subject line. As we /all/
know,  Windows  loses  its popularity (within people's  conception),  most
notably  due to security woes. Microsoft was, on several occasions,  shown
to  have  dropped  in the list of "most trusted companies".  In  terms  of
numbers,  Windows  is slipping as well, much in accordance  with  Internet
Explorer.

__/ [ Ray Ingles ] on Thursday 11 May 2006 17:04 \__

> On 2006-05-11, billwg <billw@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> The downward trend for Windows/XP inquiries is due simply to the
>> ever-increasing popularity of Windows and continuing usage.  Thus,
>> people have less need to inquire since they gain direct knowledge from
>> usage.  OTOH the increasing decline in interest for linux is due to a
>> combination of people becoming more and more satisfied with Windows and
>> discovering what a problem it would be to try to switch from Windows to
>> linux.
>
>  You now have a hypothesis. Please describe the experiments you would
> perform to validate or invalidate that hypothesis.
>
>  I hold little hope for validating it. It would seem that trends on
> Google relate little to popularity. Compare this:
>
> http://www.google.com/trends?q=president+bush&ctab=0&date=all&geo=all
>
>  to this:
>
> http://thismodernworld.com/2887

Intersting that you mention this. In another group, someone posted the
following:

http://tinyurl.com/jvsqz

Among others. The tools is rather addictive, it seems.

>  The first has a few spikes but is relatively flat overall. The
> second... well...

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    GPL'd 3-D Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
  5:40pm  up 14 days  0:37,  9 users,  load average: 0.75, 0.58, 0.53