Re: [News] Linux Sees FreeBSD Arriving at the Scene

__/ [ Linonut ] on Saturday 13 May 2006 15:28 \__

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o'
> wisdom:
>
>> FreeBSD vows to compete with desktop Linux
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Linux may soon have a stronger open-source competitor on the
>> | desktop if FreeBSD's plans come to fruition.
>
> That would be cool, actually.

It could serve as very healthy competition, in my humble opinion. It will
motivate and encourage KDE and GNOME to be more properly written, at code
level (separable, independent, transparent, design patters and other
buzzwords). To the best of my understanding, KDE can be run on Windows, but
it is extremely hard to set it up under Cygwin. I haven't touched Cygwin for
5 years...

>> | [...]
>> |
>> | "The modules that they're starting to consider don't have
>> | FreeBSD (support), don't have Solaris (support)--they're very
>> | Linux-specific," Clarke said. "My opinion--and I don't have any
>> | evidence to back this up, but from the conversations I hear on
>> | the list--is that the majority of the core GNOME developers
>> | don't use anything but Linux as a primary GNOME development
>> | platform."
>> `----
>
> If true, that, to me, is a mistake.  I'd want my code compiling and
> running on all of the BSD's and Solaris, if possible.

I totally agree, which is why I made my comment above, even before reading
that paragraph of yours.

> http://news.com.com/2100-1011_3-6071598.html?part=rss&tag=6071598&subj=news

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Digits 772-777 of Pi are 999999
  3:30pm  up 15 days 22:27,  12 users,  load average: 0.47, 0.56, 0.59