Re: Firefox Gains Market Share Against Microsoft Internet Explorer

  • Subject: Re: Firefox Gains Market Share Against Microsoft Internet Explorer
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 16:18:56 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Linonut ] on Saturday 13 May 2006 02:32 \__

http://www.informationweek.com/software/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=187202805

>> hmmmm... the w3schools website says Firefox has more than 25% marketshare.
>>
>> http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
>
> It doesn't say anything about Firefox market share.
>
> Forbes does, but why would such a money-savvy magazine confuse browser
> usage with market share?  I mean, does anyone buy either browser?

The  browser  can  be  used to channel the user toward  Web  services  and
advertisements.  Perhaps  stating  the obvious, I know.  Mozilla  made  72
million  dollars last year, from Google /alone/. How many coders can  that
fund?  Could that sponsor (e.g. pay wage to) these benevolent contributors
of many plug-ins?

Open  Source  does  not  cash in on sales. It earns  from  services  (Web,
advertisement), sponsorships and donations from avid users, and support.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  4:10pm  up 15 days 23:07,  12 users,  load average: 1.15, 0.76, 0.57