Re: 1 Pixel Picture

  • Subject: Re: 1 Pixel Picture
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 09:54:28 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.gimp
__/ [ Jim Carlock ] on Sunday 14 May 2006 00:21 \__

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to create 16 images each 1 pixel in size and then
> save them in a .gif format.

May I ask what for? You can achieve this using CSS in many cases. That aside,
on a humorous note perhaps, it is common tool among spyware vendors and
spammers -- one transparent pixel or one that mixes with the background for
HotLinking. I know you from other groups already, so just to clarify, the OP
is definitely not doing any of that...

__/ [ Jim Carlock ] on Sunday 14 May 2006 00:56 \__

> "Jim Carlock" asked:
>> I have the starting white pixel (gif), 1x1, white in color.
>>
>> I opened it with GIMP and selected the FILL tool and
>> changed the color to blue (RGB = 0,0,255). That didn't
>> work so I tried to change it black (RGB = 0,0,0). That
>> didn't work so I tried with the pen/pencil tool. That failed
>> as well.
>>
>> Anyone have any idea how to change the color of a 1 pixel
>> picture with Gimp?
>
> Figured it out. Had to put it into an RGB format by clicking
> Image, Mode, RGB via the menus. For some odd reason, the
> 16 primary Windows colors aren't part of the Index.

Yes, I tend to do that too. The RGB route is rather easy. Then, you choose
the size of the pallette, when saving.

> There a way to tell what colors are part of the index? And is
> changing it to RGB mode the only way to get around this?

I suppose Henning has answered these questions already.

With kind regards,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    #ff0000 Hot Chilli Peppers
  9:45am  up 16 days 16:42,  11 users,  load average: 0.31, 0.41, 0.40