Re: [News] Vista Bugs Bounty Hunt Begins

__/ [ Erik Funkenbusch ] on Sunday 14 May 2006 10:13 \__

http://news.com.com/2100-1016_3-6071924.html?part=rss&tag=6071924&subj=news

>>> Only $100 per bug for a project of that scale?!?! Oh, well. I guess
>>> there is a limited budget of one billion dollars on that bug hunt...
>>
>> If any other proof was needed as to why Open Source Software development
>> model is vastly superior to the proprietary, commercial closed model -
>> this has *got* to be it.
>>
>> Though it does answer a long standing question as to why Windows is so
>> buggy...apparently because there just wasn't enough incentive for the
>> developers to fix it.  Reminds me of that scene from "Office Space".
>
> Oh, yes, you're right.  Such as stupid idea.
>
> http://www.mozilla.org/press/mozilla-2005-03-28.html

Users, *not* developers.

> http://www.gnome.org/bounties/Google.html

Ditto, but to quote *ONLY* the top 5:

        Improve login time
        Reduce Evolution memory usage
        Global memory analysis tool
        Use a mmap'able cache for fontconfig
        Live documentation editing

The troubles are few, no? Optimisation and documentation.

> http://www.gnome.org/bounties/OpenOffice.org.html

Funded by Novell (not Sun), won by users, not developers who are responsive
for the bugs.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    No SCO code was used to generate this sig
 10:15am  up 16 days 17:12,  11 users,  load average: 0.92, 0.63, 0.49