Re: My Computer ($%^&*()__+)(^)

  • Subject: Re: My Computer ($%^&*()__+)(^)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 09:49:52 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.hacker
__/ [ Mark Reinhold ] on Saturday 20 May 2006 00:04 \__

> I love computers. I just have to try to get them to go a little
> faster, or something automatically. I have been doing this shit since
> the 4.77 mhz machines came out.
>
> I now a fancy fancy Intel 920 D with a terabype of harddrive and 4
> Gigs of ram. I want this sucker to go fast, so I look around and see
> windows XP 64bit. So I think, I got to get it. So I get it.

Why not get something lighter? SuSE 10.1 came out last Thursday. It sure
doesn't need that much RAM, even with KDE on top. Vista requires half a gig
of RAM at the very least.

> Thats when I find out that you can run 32 bit programs, but you forget
> about your 32bit drivers that you have.
>
> I finally got a 64bit ethernet driver, so while in 64bit mode I can
> talk and see the world.

There are various disributions with programs compiled to take full advantage
of the processor. There is a Mandriva and SuSE version for 64-bit
processors. There are many more, but I can't name them with confidence. I
definitely think it's worth a try. The drivers that come with the kernel
have no issues, throughout-wise.

> But as hearing anything, screw that. Still no audio driver, but to
> hell woth sound anyway.
>
> I finally found a 64 bit printer driver for my HP.
>
> I am wondering why I am trying to be on the edge of technology now. I
> say screw it, I want a pencil and paper.

64-bit architectures have been available for about a decade, if I recall
correctly. Microsoft have been trying to suppress this, which worked to
their advantage. For 64-bit, I suggest you hop onto (or at least give a
chance to) distributions that are built specifically for your architecture.
Windows XP 64 bit is merely a port, much like Windows Server 2003 (IIS).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |
http://Schestowitz.com  |                        ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  9:45am  up 22 days 16:42,  11 users,  load average: 0.25, 0.37, 0.34