Re: [News] "Linux Getting Very Close to Mass Adoption"

Ray Ingles wrote in <slrne6rl9h.h0e.sorceror@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on Fri,
May 19 2006 10:18:

> On 2006-05-19, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Ubuntu Linux, Dapper Drake Flight 7 - How Linux is getting very close to
>> mass adoption
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| To be perfectly fair to Ubuntu I had also played with a copy of Vista
>>| beta.  My sound card was not found, the ethernet adapter was not found,
>>| and my graphics has severe issues.  So all in all the Ubuntu beta is
>>| ahead of Vista right now.
>> `----
>
>  It's worth noting that all of his problems were hardware-support
> related. None of them would affect, say, an OEM-supplied computer.
> And solutions for all of them are available.
>
>  Given the rate of improvement in hardware detection and support I'm
> pretty sanguine about the prospects. The one item he mentioned that I'm
> surprised about is the SD/MMC/MS reader he said didn't work. I've had at
> least four work with no troubles...

Almost the same here, though it is worth mentioning that some USB devices
such as card readers don't completely follow the USB spec, and since Linux
kernel release 2.6.7, IIRC, they don't all work properly.  They return an
error condition, even upon a successful write, and so writing to the
devices can take a considerably longer amount of time then if the device
were compliant with the spec.  This is fixable by submitting the device
information to the LKML so that they can add the device to the kernel's
list of "unusual" USB devices, so that it enables a workaround to prevent
lag with those types of devices.  I happen to own one such device, though I
need to get the information on it and get around to submitting the bug
report on it, so that it can be fully supported in the kernel.

        - Mike