Re: [News] New Software for Linux Recovery

__/ [ Michael B. Trausch ] on Friday 19 May 2006 06:28 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote in <1635707.fAub7lgJmx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on Thu, May
> 18 2006 09:09:
>
>> New Software to Undo Linux Disasters
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | I don't use Linux. Sure I played around with it a couple of times,
>> | but because I write about Windows, that's what I use. So for me, the
>> | news that FarStone has a Linux version of RestoreIT isn't terribly
>> | exciting.
>> |
>> | But I'm guessing that if you're a Linux user -- and from your e-mail
>> | I'm realizing lots of you are -- this could be good news.
>> `----
>>
>> http://blogs.pcworld.com/tipsandtweaks/archives/002095.html
>>
>> Personal comment: the author admits that he is not familiar with Linux. He
>> uses a strong and, in this context, unrealistic term: "Disaster", which
>> perhaps refers to hardware faults. In Linux, full recovery is simple, as
>> well as free (also as in free beer). As everything is a file, the home
>> directory can merely be copied. For complete backups:
>>
>> man dd
>>
>> http://freshmeat.net/projects/sdd/
>>
>> http://freshmeat.net/projects/g4l/
>>
>> Among others...
>>

> I'm still waiting for filesystem level snapshots on ext2/3 to be supported
> without adding stuff like LVM to the system.  That would be a *perfect*
> solution, since it would be completely possible to use dump(8) on it while
> running live.  FreeBSD has something like this for its UFS2 formatted disk
> slices.  It's a *wonderful* thing.  Other then that, tar cf works just
> fine.  :-)
>
>         - Mike

'tar cf' is what I use at the moment for backups involving redundancy at the
same location. For everything else, it's rsync (thanks, Jim, for encouraging
me) and scp, which I use just twice a week. For what it's worth, to keep tar
archives compact and therefore more portable across filesystems, I use:

        tar -cf - /dir-to-back-up|split -b 1000m - backup-`date +%Y-%m-%d`.tar

To reassemble:

        cat backup.tar.*|tar -xf -

These dated archives are not just used for "disaster recovery". They can also
be used to revert to old settings, which is something that helped/saved me
at time.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
 12:40pm  up 21 days 19:37,  10 users,  load average: 0.10, 0.22, 0.41