Re: Ubuntu 6 Finally Available for Free Order/Shipping

__/ [ Da'Punk-A ] on Thursday 18 May 2006 14:04 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Ubuntu 6 can now be ordered from Shipit. Order your 5 or 10 CD's now. It's
>> free: for you, for your friends, colleagues, and family.
>>
>>                 https://shipit.ubuntu.com/
>>
>> ,----[ Summary ]
>> | ShipIt lets you request Ubuntu 6.06 LTS (Dapper Drake) CDs that will
>> | be posted to you free of charge.
>> `----
>
> Thanks for the heads-up on that, Roy.  Just ordered my CDs.  For the
> past couple of months I've been reading all sorts of good stuff about
> Dapper.  Now I'm gonna see for myself.
>
> One thing worth noting: the shipit web page says orders take 4-6 weeks
> to arrive.  But they're gonna be knee-deep in orders, so I wouldn't be
> surprised if it took longer.

If  I recall correctly, the official release date is bound to be June 1st,
i.e.  6 weeks after the targetted date was postponed. There is a limit  on
how  quickly  they can mass-burn the CD's when the release goes  'golden'.
There are also manual processes involved.

I  believe  it  it the first time that their standard release cycle  of  6
months  is  broken or stretched. As a news release clarified  last  night,
this  was  intended to extend the support cycle, thereby encouraging  some
businesses to give Ubuntu CD-ROM's that good spin (pun).   Like one report
in New Zealand once said, "Open Source is infectious" (positive connotati-
on).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Pentiums melt in your PC, not in your hand"
  2:45pm  up 20 days 21:42,  9 users,  load average: 1.83, 1.49, 1.05