Re: Comparisons of IE, Opera and Firefox on DOM (Javascript/CSS) support (Opera wins)

__/ [ Travis Newbury ] on Wednesday 17 May 2006 12:16 \__

>> > What you couldn't just say what this brilliant new feature is?  I
>> > haven't the time (or the bother) to go to their site and read through
>> > their new features list.  Guess I will just have to stick with FF.
>> The official:
>>         http://my.opera.com/community/dev/widgets/
>> The 'meat' (screenshots):
>>         http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinocho/111771754/
>> Best wishes,
>
> That's what I like.  Service with a smile.
>
> thanks

If you like toys, that is. They adopt the same name and concepts as that
which you find in OS X, unlike the upcoming "Gadgets" in Windows Vista. They
are merely distractions. Linux has had these for _ages_ (probably going back
to the previous decade). Unlike clocks, some of them have actual use, e.g.
system monitoring. At Web browser-level, I doubt there is much you can add.
Firefox extensions are far less obtrusive and they take less resources and
space. If you want to run over 20 of these simultaneously, flash must go.

__/ [ Travis Newbury ] added on Wednesday 17 May 2006 12:20 \__

> Looking mighty like a new form of popup window to me.... (the abuse
> factor is there)
>
> This is something that would make me stay away from opera.

Exactly my sentiments. Nice looking, but only if you go for flash rather than
substance. Mac factor = less work | more demoware. After a few hours or
days, you will get past that stage of initial excitement and try to find out
how to rule the beast, rather than have the Beast^tm taking over your screen
space/CPU.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Lions are like hippie tigers"
 12:20pm  up 19 days 19:17,  8 users,  load average: 0.50, 0.69, 0.64