Re: SuSE Vs. Kubuntu

__/ [ houghi ] on Wednesday 17 May 2006 08:38 \__

> Elmo wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I have an old laptop I used to run SuSE 10.0 for a while. It always seemed
>> slow, so last night I installed kubuntu on it and it seems to run faster.
>> I am not crazy about kubuntu, so I am wondering why suse was slower? Does
>> it load extra programs that slow it down? extra modules? where do I start
>> looking at?
>
> Yes, it loads mch more. Booting will be slower due to pre-linking and so
> on. This makes the machine faster at a later stage. You can get that out
> of the way altogether or just those that you only seldom use.
>
> Next you can look what is running and what you don't need with YaST,
> System, Runlevel Editor.
>
> Remove programs from your thingy down below that you do not need,
> including the clock and such.
>
> SUSE is 3 CDs to install, Kubuntu is 1 CD to install. That means 3 times
> as much stuff (actually about two times, I guess). SUSE is not a
> lightweight, nor does it want to be one. If you want speed, use SDL.

While I agree with this, there is a snag. (X/n/K)Ubuntu fetches many packages
over the Web, so the number of CD's is not the best indicator.

> That is the nice thing about OSS. There is a distro for everybody. :-)

True. I sometimes wonder if I should move to Kubuntu, but the only reason
would be bloat (or lack thereof). SuSE gives me heaps of applications that I
never use. For personal use, this may be fine. For more efficient computing
(e.g. server), it may not be so.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Proprietary cripples communication
 11:20am  up 19 days 18:17,  8 users,  load average: 2.19, 0.96, 0.37