Re: Victory is ours!

  • Subject: Re: Victory is ours!
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 07:32:10 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ NoStop ] on Wednesday 17 May 2006 05:36 \__

> On Tuesday 16 May 2006 04:05 am, Linonut had this to say in
> comp.os.linux.advocacy:
>
>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Bobbie belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>>
>>> small Java applet based on Entrust TruePass technology. At the time
>>> the Census application was developed, the version 7.1 of TruePass
>>> did not provide support for Linux.
>>>
>>> However, since the most recent upgrade, TruePass version 8, now
>>> includes Linux, Statistics Canada, in response to demand, has removed
>>> the restriction for Linux. This change takes effect May 13th, 2006.
>>>
>>> This broadened access to open-source users is available to those who
>>> have a valid browser and JVM. These minimum requirements are necessary
>>> in order to maintain the same level of data encryption with Public Key
>>> Infrastructure (PKI).
>>>
>>> With the addition of this new operating system, the capacity of the
>>> Census Help Line operators to respond to technical calls from open
>>> source users may be limited. However, we expect this will not be a
>>> major obstacle for the vast majority of these users.

>>> I've modified Dale's email address to avoid giving him the gift of
>>> spam.  Anyways, I wasn't expecting the government to actually make any
>>> type of change, but they did.  I can only hope that in the future they
>>> keep supporting the open source initative.
>>
>> Cool!
>>
> Nothing cool at all about filling out the census online, no matter what
> platform you use. See... http://countmeout.ca for more info on why we
> shouldn't be doing it online.

This   shows  your  inability  to  accept  an  inevitably  drift  to   the
service-based  paradigm.  Even Gates, despite the inner-conflict, had  the
nickel drop 6 months ago (too late). Everything is bound to go online. How
you  manage the hardware locally is a separate matter altogether. Linux on
a  stick (CD's are too slow, clumsy, and unreliable) may be the way to go.
You  could even fit SuSE on a USB flash storage device. Pure network  boot
would be hard if not impossible in this day and age.

Essentially, what you ans Microsoft wish to do is bound users in a box fi-
lled with software when an abundance of software is available all over the
world and bandwidth accommodates operations that are almost on par (speed-
wise) with standard buses. The user will not notice, the user won't  mind.
Try Google Mail to get a clue.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz, Ph.D. Candidate (Medical Biophysics)
  7:25am  up 19 days 14:22,  8 users,  load average: 0.15, 0.28, 0.38