Re: What happened to Walmart's Linux boxes???

  • Subject: Re: What happened to Walmart's Linux boxes???
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 05:41:42 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ [H]omer ] on Tuesday 16 May 2006 05:22 \__

> On 16/05/2006 04:45, linuxiac spake thusly:
>> Bill wrote:
>>>
>>> I got curious today about the computers I had heard Walmart was
>>> selling with either Linux installed or no O.S.  So I searched the
>>> web including Walmart's site and could find nothing to indicate
>>> this is happening now.  Only articles from 2002 through 2004 talked
>>> about this phenomenon. All Walmart's computers I can find today
>>> come loaded with Windows XP.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know what has happened here? :-((((
>>
>> The Microtel computers are still offered for sale, but, no mention of
>> an OS to install on them!
>
> Yes they do:
>
> "# Xandros SurfSide Linux
>
> Additional software Includes:
>
> # Fed up with malicious spyware, viruses and worms that can monitor your
> activities, steal your credit information, cripple your machine, and
> destroy your personal files? Xandros SurfSide Linux provides the
> Carefree Internet choice:
>
> # New! Xandros Firewall Wizard to prevent unauthorized access
> # New! Xandros Antivirus to scan your files and quarantine malicious
> intruders
> # New! Encrypted home folder option to shield your personal files from
> prying eyes
> # New! Encrypted phone calls with Skype so that nobody can listen in on
> your internet calls
> # New! Secure access to your school or business PPTP virtual private
> network (VPN)
> # Restrict log-in access to specific days and times, for example, to
> keep anyone from logging in at night or on weekends
> # Can the spam by letting Thunderbird intelligently filter out likely
> junk, so that you can get back to reading your mail
> # Immunity from most attacks, since most spyware and viruses exploit the
> vulnerabilities of Windows-based computers"
>
>    - http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3762910
>    - http://www.xandros.com/products/home/desktopsurf/dsk_surf_intro.html

So I  understand that,  to Xandros at least,  it's  all about privacy  and
security. By the way, a fortnight ago I noticed that Xandros had bought an
AdWords spot for "linux" in Google. They reside alongside Microsoft's  Get
the F***ing S**t Campaign.  At  least it  is somewhat  balanced now, after
almost 6 months.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    FUD: Not food for thought
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  5:35am  up 18 days 12:32,  8 users,  load average: 0.85, 0.86, 0.73