Re: Microsoft Confront IBM

__/ [ Cyberwasteland ] on Wednesday 24 May 2006 23:33 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Microsoft & IBM come courting
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | "We've actually seen a decrease in the number of all Windows shops
>> | and an increase in businesses using Linux or Unix after several
>> | years of decline," said Joe Wilcox, an analyst with JupiterResearch.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.sptimes.com/2006/05/24/Business/Microsoft__IBM_come_c.shtml
>
> Hi Roy,
>
> As a dyed-in-the-hot-dogs-and-apple-pie American yank, I always do a
> double-take when reading your use of collective pronouns (company
> names). I've always understood that saying something like, "Microsoft
> are releasing Vista," would infer that each employee of Microsoft is
> releasing Vista; whereas Microsoft *is* releasing  Vista indicates
> Microsoft - the company - is releasing Vista.
>
> We Americans... pshaw!

I used to do *exactly* that. Some people 'corrected' me, which just leads to
confusion. The same issue with "and" and commas (the Oxford comma).  While I
insist on omitting that comma and also include hyphens wherever and whenever
needed, the Supervisor changes it. So, over time, I just learned to adapt as
means of reducing nags. It makes nobody happy at the end of the day...
*sigh*

Best wishes,