Re: Tim Berners-Lee talks webby

__/ [ wd ] on Tuesday 23 May 2006 22:09 \__

> On Tue, 23 May 2006 16:19:45 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | He warned that if the US decided to go ahead with a two-tier internet,
>> | the network would enter "a dark period".
>> `----

>> This relates to some of the stuff that we have been speaking about. Not
>> just search engines are involved, but also ISP's and entire nations.
>
> Big money cannot let the status quo be upset.  If people without money are
> allowed to broadcast their ideas with the same weight as the elite (unlike
> TV) it would upset the [im]balance of society.
>
> Two-tier Internet addresses that problem, by turning the Internet into
> something more like TV, where big companies feed you crap on a
> subscription basis, and if you want to broadcast your own ideas, you can
> do it on the handful of local public TV stations that never get much
> attention.
>
> I don't doubt that these companies envision the future Internet to be
> something like an interactive TV, with similar lack of substance and a
> higher price tag.

I actually ditched television and gave mine away quite some time ago. The
computer (networking in particular) obviated the need for broadcasting
through cable or antenna. I loathe the thought of the Internet becoming more
like mainstream television or vice versa (transformation brought into the
living room). Wait until they pull a fast one on VoIP...

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz, Ph.D. Candidate in Medical Biophysics
 10:15pm  up 26 days  4:54,  11 users,  load average: 0.99, 0.77, 0.82