Re: Strange MSN results page

__/ [ wd ] on Tuesday 23 May 2006 15:48 \__

> On Tue, 23 May 2006 06:52:25 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ wd ] on Monday 22 May 2006 23:13 \__
>>
>>> Does anyone know what this is?
>>>
>>> http:// search.msn.com/spresults.aspx?q=query
>>>
>>> If the search is done with spresults.aspx?q= instead of results.aspx?q=
>>> it shows a strange screen.  Found that in the logs.
>>>
>>> Looks very strange on my screen.
>>

>> Looks very awkward over here, as well.
>>
>> http://www.schestowitz.com/temp/screenshots/msn-oddity.jpg
>
> I wonder if it's an 'IE-only' page, or maybe a page that no one is
> supposed to visit directly.
>
> Found this in Google:
> http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum1/2184.htm
> Something about spresults being the spelling-corrected page.
>
> More interesting search engine results here:
> http://www.google.com/search?q=msn+spresults
>
> Google is indexing the MSN search pages.

I wonder why they are running out of space... perhaps MSN should start
indexing Google... and contain all these pages that arrived from MSN,
thereby leading to a loop. *giggle*

>>> Microsoft's answer to Google Trends? http://
>>>www.imagine-msn.com/insider/
>>

>> Geez. What a bloat. And it's all in Flash. On the contrary, even
>> interactive graphs such as the ones in Google Trends and Finance are
>> Ajax-based. I wonder if they use the GWT to achieve that. I know that
>> Google Maps are based upon it.
>
> It was a bit confusing.  The finger is moving back and forth, there are
> some lights flashing in the middle, the bars at the bottom are moving and
> changing colors, and the text keeps changing before I can read it fully.
> Seems like it is a bit dumbed-down.  Britney Spears vs. Paparazzi?     The
> graph has a lot of animation but it's not immediately apparent what it is
> doing.

Maybe it's that all Urge influence. You know, that MTV-MS collaborative
campaign (the Web site of which is said to have stolen KDE artwork). They
liaise over the need to compete with the iPod and iTunes from Apple...

I hate Flash content. You can't copy text, you can't save it properly, can't
search within page, and the list goes on and on. Any "Why Flash is Evil"
page would probably list these among the reasons. What annoys me is that
some people (my cousin included) actually insist on using Flash. They don't
give a goddamn about search engine potential, openness, (in)dependence on
vendor and proprietary formats. Their loss. I definitely will not get
involved... *sigh*

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | if ("if"=inv("fi")) print("foo/bar")
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  3:50pm  up 25 days 22:29,  11 users,  load average: 1.20, 1.22, 1.06