Re: follow up to upper lower case differences.

__/ [ T.J. ] on Tuesday 23 May 2006 09:37 \__

>> __/ [ T.J. ] on Monday 22 May 2006 22:19 \__
>>
>>> This is to long to write here, but I thought some
>>> of you (especially Roy) might be interested in the
>>> strange results I am seeing.
>>> http://www.uksmallbusinessdirectory.co.uk/strange-goings-on.html
>>

>> Yes, that's just what I noticed over here. I didn't grab screenshots, so I
>> thought I'd paste (albeit it's too large and overly filled with
>> hyperlinks)
>> or post just the differences.
>>

>>> It is all testing in progress, and I will be writing
>>> more tomorrow and testing more things out over
>>> the coming days.
>>

>> Maybe there is no conversion to all-lowercase after all. Maybe it's
>> related
>> to the way result delivery is engineered. You know, like getting different
>> SERP's when you request just 10 results per page, as opposed to 50...
>>

> Yes, I no longer think case has as much to do with it
> as previous searches do.
> i.e. I usualy search in lower case, and that returns the
> favoured results

Favoured *to you*, I assume. *smile*

>>> But what appears to be the case at the moment is
>>> that IE or google knows which is my site and raises
>>> it in the serps when I search for the keyword
>>> it is targeting.
>>> Cookie related, cache related or something else?
>>

>> To Google, there is no access to cache, but it's possible that the browser
>> makes use of old content (unlikely for search results, which always expire
>> immediately). Try another Web browser or disable/flush cache.
>
> Doing all that at the moment, but from initial tests this is
> only IE. related.
> Funny thing is it isn't happening at the moment
> I suspect that once it starts though it will carry on
> untill I switch off again, almost as though it doesn't
> know it is me yet, but once it does it starts happening.

Maybe just a datacentre blooper? Depending on how frequently you try this, it
might be just fortune. Maybe datacentre allocation sniffs your HTTP headers
and handles IE differently. Who knows... I can't think of a reason.

__/ [ T.J. ] added on Tuesday 23 May 2006 09:46 \__

> Apologies for replying to my own post, but I was right
> it now appears to have it tagged as being me again.
> Amazing to watch.

Depends on one's reasons for amusement... *LOL*

For example, I get a kick from watching the following:

http://members.cox.net/aye-aye/penguin1.gif

Heh. Always funny...

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: 111111 X 111111 = 12345654321
 12:45pm  up 25 days 19:24,  11 users,  load average: 0.03, 0.20, 0.19