Re: Manchester Uni English champs...

  • Subject: Re: Manchester Uni English champs...
  • From: "MrBlueSkye" <apbz91@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 17:46:48 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.local.manchester
"Befunge Sudoku" <daviddotbudd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:MPG.1edbb96aed1bf93698a712@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> In article <UoKdnddJeOkQA-zZRVnysw@xxxxxxxxx>, apbz91@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> says...
>>
>> Oh do behave are you really attempting to invoke public sympathy for the
>> lecturers lot. Be real, lecturers are overpaid, overpriveledged and
>> underworked.
>
> You do it, then, if it's so easy and so well paid.

I've retired, but my brother has a lecturer for years

> Academic pay's been dropping in real terms for 20 years now.

That's because they were overpayed initially

> Anyway, the same scales apply to all the academic-related staff too, and
> we work fairly
> hard all the year around (in fact, in my area, the summer vac is our
> busiest time, as
> it's the only chance we get to do major reconfig of the networks and
> systems).

 Keep telling yourself that and you may believe it some day, Academics and
overwork heh, akin to the overworked teachers scam. And the general public
don't believe that one either.

> If I'd got out into industry after a couple of years here, I'd be making
> about 50% more
> than I do here. But I stayed just too long, and now only know software and
> systems that
> are more or less specific to Unis, so I'm trapped.
> Luckily the working conditions are good, and the pension is reasonable. I
> keep buying
> the lottery tickets though. Only another 13 years to go...

You bought into a security blanket, it may be that like most town hall
higher grades you didn't want to take the risk / chance it in the private
sector.

Your pay rates are far higher than most.
Your holiday entitlement is far better than most
Your pension scheme is a very good one and at least you have a pension
scheme.
Your "working hours" are lower than most
Your working conditions are better than most

So stop whining, your in a soft cushioned and protected job, unlike most.
MBS